Four Oaks is believed to date from around 1485 and served as a farmhouse
for Four Oaks Farm, originally part of a large monastic estate.
It was built as a hall house comprising the current lounge/dining room
area together with the 2 floors above. The large Tudor inglenook fireplace
was inserted in place of the screened passage (which doubled as a threshing
floor) and the small buttery and pantry which were the normal features of
this type of house and which, we believe, were removed. The upper rooms
were fully floored in as bedrooms at some unspecified period. The attic
contains a superb "threepenny-bit" crown post supporting the main
Prior to the house being sold separately from the farm in the 1960s, a
single storey bathroom extension was added at the west end. This was demolished
and replaced with a full two storey extension by the current owners in 1986.
At this time, the inglenook was repaired. Found in the brickwork was the
bowl of a churchwarden's pipe decorated with Masonic symbols. This has been
dated to around 1700, the time that the rear extension was built. Other
finds include a Victorian brass bicycle pump, a money tin and a sovereign
bag (both empty!) and various old bottles.